For the gnocchi
- 1 kg floury potatoes
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 300 g ’00’ flour
For the tomato sauce
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Italian olive oil
- 700 ml tomato passata
- 10 basil
- 2 balls buffalo mozzarella, roughly torn into pieces
- 150 g Parmesan, grated
- salt and black pepper, to taste
4. Slice the potato rope into lengths – about 1.5cm long. Using your thumb, roll the potato dumpling against the prongs of a fork, which will create ridge marks on one side. Do this with all the gnocchi before arranging them on a well-floured tray.
5. To prepare the sauce; soften the onions in a large frying pan with the olive oil. After about 5 minutes, add the passata and basil leaves, season with salt and pepper, and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
5. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi, in batches for 2-3 minutes, until they rise to the surface.
6. Using a wire scoop, transfer the cooked gnocchi from the water into the tomato sauce. Simmer a further two minutes before adding the mozzarella cheese.