- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small bunch basil , shredded
- 3 medium aubergines
- 2 balls mozzarella , sliced
- a handful grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- Heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, add the garlic and gently sizzle for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the basil and season.
- Slice the aubergines lengthways about 1/2cm thick. Brush both sides with oil, season and griddle (chargrill), turning a few times until completely tender (you could also do this in a non-stick frying pan). It’s important to get the aubergine as tender as possible, so give it time.
- Put a few spoonfuls of the sauce in the bottom of an ovenproof dish. Cover with the aubergine and mozzarella then repeat, ending with a thin layer of sauce (you’ll have roughly 3-4 layers). Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake for 30-40 minutes until bubbling and golden.